Saturday, September 3, 2016

OLD RULES ARE THE BEST

Confession Time

Now this isn't a confession to my family and closest friends, but it is a confession just the same!  For the past 2 years I have been feeling like not moving~  I think I've felt defeated in so many ways.  There were some personal hits that I didn't take very well, and it was also a time of prayer and contemplation.   This is one of the main reasons I've decided to start writing in the daily blog....to get my motivation back, to make confessions and to figure out how to get my life back to some kind of passion and excitement.  I have become a Snoopy!!!

I titled this post OLD RULES ARE THE BEST for so many reasons.  I remember when I was in school, especially elementary school when we were taught the basic rules for learning, for living, and for getting along with others, and these rules are still the best way to learn, live and interact with others. 

The other night when I could not get to sleep until 7am, I was crying out to the LORD for a real purpose for my older life.  You might laugh here, but what I heard Him speak to my heart was this:  "Clear off all the counter tops in your house";  tables, counters, beds, etc.  I use to have a very neat house and I always had rules for my house.  The number one rule was (and basically still is for safety).... Nothing belongs on the floor except the legs of the furniture!!!  My kids and grand kids will confirm this rule in my house.  I also use to keep table tops and beds free from clutter, but that rule has gone by the way side.  I've always had a room that I would junk up, but now I'm using bags and plastic tubes to hold things that really I should just deal with and get rid of.  These are kept in my dining room where I should be set up for Bible study and writing!

Yesterday's blog I said I'd answer question 2:  The importance of keeping the house clean. 

Here is my reason as to why it is important, at least for me!  I can't think or be productive in a mess!  I know some people can, but for me it stops all my desire to be creative. 

When I was a teenager, my boyfriend's mother use to complain to me that when she was younger she could clean her little house in a day and it would shine!  By the time I met her she said she was lucky if she could clean 1 room a day or a closet in a day.  Now that I am 60+ I am understanding what she was dealing with.  Part of the problem is I just don't care about the house like I use too.  There use to be some pride in keeping a clean house, or there was the fear of being judged by others, but as I have gotten older I just don't care what others think.  That can be good and it can be bad.  LOL  Mostly bad when I lose my motivation~

The importance of keeping MY house clean is because I feel I can not get back to my old self again until I am more disciplined in my house!  After all, I am retired now, and I have the time to do all the things I should be doing!  Now I have to WANT to do them! 

I grew up with my mother's rule that as soon as I was out of the bed I had to make my bed.  Then I had to get dressed before breakfast!  Ha!!!!  Those rules are so far from my life now that it is almost laughable!  Now I sleep in late because I get such terrible sleep at night, and I don't bother getting dressed for the day until someone is coming over or I have to leave the house.  Making the bed is just throwing the cover over the bed and pillows.  My mom was a 1940's graduate registered nurse where they did all the hospital tucks with the sheets and you could bounce a quarter on the bed cover!!!  That is how she taught me!  I gave it up for lent one year and never took the rules back!  LOL  But I am going to start doing this again!  Up, bed made, shower/dress, breakfast/coffee and then Bible study!  As of this week I have started going to bed by midnight or 12:30am.  The problem I still have is I can't stay asleep~  Enough said~

Well, time to get busy throwing papers away and clearing out the dining room for my Bible study table!  I am excited about this!  I am also knitting daily again and am very happy about that!  I'd eventually like to knit socks.  They seem hard to me, but if others can do it, I can too!

Hugs to all~
Cathy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh boy I love Snoopy! I really like this avenue you're taking with your blog. I can relate with some much of what is taking place in your life and am seriously in awe at how our time line is tracking in sequence.

I too have to have my bed made, and my clothing laid out before I get into the shower, I'm such a creature of habit. I always thought a routine was good for me but have allowed it to slip away.

Getting back on track and I have motivation to do so. Keep it up my friend!